In order to help protect your health and prevent the further spread of COVID-19 within our community, the COR in conjunction with the Kol HaCOVID Task Force and Toronto Public Health are requesting you to note and adhere to the following policies regarding grocery and other retail shopping, effective immediately.
1. Stores have been asked to facilitate online, phone, in-car, and delivery options. It is strongly preferred that customers use these methods and avoid in-person shopping if possible.
2. Please DO NOT ENTER any retail or grocery store if you:
- Have returned from travel from any destination in the past 14 days
- Have had close contact with a COVID-19 patient in the past 14 days
- Are experiencing, or have experienced in the past 48 hours, any of the following symptoms: Fever, cough, muscle aches and tiredness, difficulty breathing, sore throat, headache or diarrhea.
3. If you are over the age of 65 or have a chronic medical condition, physical disability or a weakened immune system (due to medical or health condition), we strongly recommend that you use the phone/online purchasing options where possible.
- Stores will attempt to provide dedicated shopping hours during low volume periods when store sterility can be more readily assured. If in-store shopping is absolutely required, we urge you to shop during that time to protect your health.
4. For those who must shop in person:
- At all times, social/physical distancing of 6 feet/2 meters must be followed from other customers and store staff – this includes inside the store, cashier lineups and any waiting lines outside the store.
- We strongly advise that customers wear masks at all times while in the store.
- All customers must sanitize or wash their hands upon entry to the store.
- Please do not touch your hair or face while in the store.
- Use of cell phones or other handheld electronic devices will not be permitted in the store. If required in exceptional cases, the device must be disinfected on entering the store.
- No customers under the age of 16 will be permitted in stores.
- Please note that only credit / debit payment will be accepted in order to further minimize virus exposure.
There are additional community resources available to assist any individuals with errands which will further limit the contact of high-risk groups to the COVID-19 virus. Please contact Zeh Lozeh – Coronavirus Chesed Helpline at (647)793-7700.
The Kol HaCOVID Task Force on Kosher Food Establishment Safety Guidelines
Dr. Chaim Bell
Dr. Ari Greenwald
Dr. Barry Pakes
|Task Force Committee:
Dr. Nesya Jacob
Dr. Avi Orner
Dr. Ron Phillipson
Dr. Jeffery Rothenstein
Dr. Moshe Weinstock
This guideline is also endorsed by the broader Kol HaCOVID medical community (www.kolhacovid.com)
These guidelines align with best practices available at this time and will reduce, but not entirely eliminate, the risk of COVID-19 in store employees, customers and the community at large. Please also refer to the updated Toronto Public Health website at www.toronto.ca/home/covid-19 for further resources and additional information.
Effective Date: March 29, 2020